Note from Chef Xavier
I hope all is well and that you all are healthy. As we have been on this journey these past couple of weeks, I am sure you are getting a pretty good sense of who I am as a chef. I love great food of course, but I really love food that is good and has meaning behind it. I love cooking food that will stick to your ribs and give you comfort, but also bring people together and make them happy. So, the recipe I picked today is Shrimp and Grits. A southern specialty, sometimes called breakfast shrimp, this dish tastes great for brunch or dinner, and anytime company is coming. It’s down-home comfort food at its finest!
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thick sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 lbs. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. Cajun or Blackened seasoning
- 4 green onions, chopped.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 12-14 mins or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese until melted and set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 tsp drippings.
- Sauté the shrimp, garlic, and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve the shrimp over grits and sprinkle with green onion.
This is a great, quick and easy dish to be able to throw together in under half an hour. Our chef recommends pairing this dish with Chardonnay because “buttery dishes, with minimal spice, just beg to be paired with chardonnay!”
Look Forward to More Recipes from Our Executive Chef
Since our facility is closed during the COVID-19 crisis, we’re bringing our delicious catering to you! Chef Xavier is sharing some of his favorite recipes that you can enjoy with your families. Check back on our blog for more coming soon!
If you want to go one step further, you can even share your meal on our Facebook page. We’d love to see how these recipes are turning out for you all!