In these strange and uncertain times we’re in right now, we can all use a little comfort. Chef Xavier is pulling out all his recipes for delicious comfort food to share with you, and next up is one of his favorites—smothered chicken!
“When I was a young boy, my mother cooked all types of wonderful foods and comfort foods for us. One of my favorites was smothered chicken served over fluffy, steamed white rice with green beans. Talk about comfort food at its finest,” says Xavier.
- All- purpose flour, for dredging
- 3 ea chicken drumstick and 3 ea chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large white onion
- 1/2 lbs mushrooms of your choice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Put some flour in a paper bag, add the chicken pieces and shake well to coat them. Pull the chicken out of the bag and shake off the excess flour.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter in the oil. Add half the chicken at a time and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown over moderate heat for 4-5 mins per side, transfer the chicken to a large plate.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat for 10 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook for 3 mins.
- Add the chicken and cover with the onions.
- Add the stock and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked, about 35 mins.
- Discard the bay leaf. Transfer to a large platter, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This dish is very versatile and would be wonderful with any side dish that comes to mind. It’s great with white rice but would be wonderful with mashed potatoes, polenta, grits, wild rice or even buttered noodles. The dish pairs well with a nice Pinot Noir. Enjoy!
Look Forward to More Recipes from Our Executive Chef
Since our facility is closed during the COVID-19 crisis, we’re bringing our delicious catering to you! Chef Xavier is sharing some of his favorite recipes that you can enjoy with your families. Check back on our blog for more coming soon!
If you want to go one step further, you can even share your meal on our Facebook page. We’d love to see how these recipes are turning out for you all!