If you’ve been spending extra time at home lately like us, it’s likely you’re looking for a little creative outlet. Maybe even something that the whole family can get in on? For our Executive Chef Xavier, that’s baking! So round up the kids and tell them you’re doing your own home baking show. We saw on Instagram that Chef Gordon Ramsay is getting his daughters involved in helping him record cooking videos at home. You can do it, too!
This recipe for rice pudding is very special to Chef Xavier because his grandmother used to make it for him all the time when he was younger. As an adult, he makes it from time to time to reminisce about those good times with her. It’s creamy and delicious, and just that perfect dessert to cozy up with while you binge on a new Netflix series after dinner.
- 3/4 cup medium grain rice or 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt (heaping)
- 4 cups whole milk (you can use almond, soy, or any other milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste
- Bring rice, water and salt to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Cover and simmer until water has been absorbed (approximately 15 minutes).
- Stir in milk and sugar and cook uncovered over medium heat for 30-40 mins, stirring frequently—especially towards the end of the cooking.
- The pudding is done when the rice and milk have amalgamated and formed a thick, porridge-like consistency.
- Do not overcook or the pudding will be solid instead of creamy once cooled.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into a serving bowl or individual cups.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top if you like.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface if you don’t want a skin on top.
- Cool and enjoy.
Have fun with this recipe! There are different things you can add to your rice pudding to jazz it up and make it your own, such as pecans, craisins, raisins, walnuts, almonds, granola, fresh berries—or really anything else you can think of that you would like.
Look Forward to More Recipes from Our Executive Chef
Since our facility is closed during the COVID-19 crisis, we’re bringing our delicious catering to you! Chef Xavier is sharing some of his favorite recipes that you can enjoy with your families. Check back on our blog for more coming soon!
If you want to go one step further, you can even share your meal on our Facebook page. We’d love to see how these recipes are turning out for you all!