Jollof Rice with Beef Skewers (from Ghana/Nigeria)
Jollof Rice Ingredients
2 large onions
1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons
14 oz diced tomatoes (2 cans)
6 oz tomato paste (1 can)
1 habanero pepper
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 cup frozen vegetable mix
1 1/2 cups water
Jollof Rice Instructions
- Combine chopped onions and 2 tbsp of oil to a blender and pulse until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and habanero pepper to the blender. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1/3 cup of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is simmering add the onion puree and cook until golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato puree and add the curry powder, garlic powder, ginger and crushed bouillon cubes.
- Cook the mixture for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew has reduced by half and is deep red in color.
- Add the rice, mixed vegetables and water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with foil and a lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
Beef filet cut into cubes
3 scotch bonnet chilies
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp grated ginger
1 1/2 red onion
2 beef bouillon cube
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large green pepper
1 large red onion
Beef Skewer Instructions
- In a food processor, grind together the chilies, ginger, garlic, onion, bouillon cube and oil.
- Form a smooth paste and marinate the beef for 4 hours.
- Thread the meat, green pepper and red onion (all cubed) onto skewers.
- Cook skewers on grill until the meat is tender.
- Place beef skewers on Jollof Rice.